Why write? It’s never easy . . .
Because the magic is addictive . . .
I was eight years old, sitting in the loft of an old barn because that was the place where I could read and not be disturbed. Don’t remember the book, only that it was a story about a girl and a horse. There was a noise below. I looked up and was startled by my surroundings because a moment earlier I had been that girl, riding that horse.
I was old enough to have stopped believing in Santa Claus and other made-up stuff, but this was real. I had been somewhere else, living a different life. Right then and there, I knew I wanted to figure out how the magic of stories worked. I wanted to make that kind of magic. I’ve been trying to do that ever since.
My desk. A messy desk=creativity or don’t I hope!!
My All-Time Favorite novels:
(no particular order)
- Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant (Anne Tyler)
- A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)
- The Wind-up Bird Chronicle (Haruki Murakami)
- Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
- Angle of Repose (Wallace Stegner)
- This House of Spirits (Isabel Allende)
- Cat’s Eye (Margaret Atwood)
- Don Quixote (Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra)
- Plainsong (Kent Haruf)
- Cloud Atlas (David Mitchell)
- Case Histories (Kate Atkinson)
- Lonesome Dove (Larry McMurtry)
- Canopus in Argos: Archives (Doris Lessing) all books in the series.
Every writer needs a little quiet. Here are my favorite retreat places.
Oleander Cottage Lomagne Region of France
Hedgebrook Whidbey Island near Seattle, WA
Anam Cara Coulagh Bay, County Cork, Ireland