We expect our lives to turn out like the stories we hear.
My family tells great LOVE STORIES. Listen long enough and you can spend a lifetime waiting to be swept off your feet. Convinced that most of us expect our lives to turn out like the stories we hear, I go in search of my family stories, hoping to understand how they shape me. PAY ATTENTION TO THE FAIRY GODMOTHER is the resulting book.
More About Current Project
Why Family Stories?
“Pay Attention to the fairy godmother” is my motto. It’s a twist on Cinderella. When my grandmother got to the end of that classic tale, she always paused and added, “We like the prince. There’s nothing nicer than a fine, handsome prince, but you need to pay attention to the fairy godmother. She’s the one who got things done.”
I amused myself thinking she meant women, like herself, older and largely unappreciated. I thought good for her, we all need to get a dig in whenever we can. I’ve since changed my mind. I think “pay attention to the fairy godmother” means notice how your family tells their stories. Turn those tales inside out, the way grandma did, and really look at what they’re saying, because, more than likely, your life has been shaped by the stories you heard.
Who knew? I didn’t. I thought I was living my life, my way. I’d left home when I was nineteen, and I’ve never lived closer than a thousand miles since. I was my own woman making my own decisions, too busy–far too busy–to wonder why I thought a thousand miles insulated me from stories I’d heard a thousand times. Truth is, most of us shrug off the family stories, not only because they’re just stories, but because they’re the same old stories. We think we know them until we ask: Why that story? Why that story told that way?
Unless we pause to ask those questions, we may find ourselves trying to live the story we’ve always heard. In my family we tell great love stories. Listen long enough and you might spend your whole life waiting to be swept off your feet.
Stories get better with time. Families exaggerate because they want the stories to be remembered. Pay attention. The whoppers contain clues as to what the family thinks is important. George Washington never chopped down a cherry tree; never said “I cannot tell a lie.” So why, as an American family, do we keep telling that story? When we stop telling it, what has changed?
Stories have voices. If all our stories are about hardship, we may not be able to hear good news. If our stories are about old hurts, we feel a duty to right old wrongs. Old hatreds are passed along the same way.
Stories are slogans. “In our family we ___________” is a sentence most of us can complete. Question is, who decides how to fill in that blank?
If you come from a family of war heroes, does it become unthinkable to not put on a uniform? If you come from a family that goes to college, is becoming a plumber an option or a failure?
Giving a new twist to an old story can make a huge difference. Have you examined your family stories lately?Read More
Recent Blog Posts
January 8, 2013 |
A lady is an uptight, suburban, church-going bitch who thinks I might be dangerous. And you’re calling me a...
November 15, 2012 |
When God created the snake without legs, the hoop snake was having none of it. Taking tail in mouth, he rolled...
October 15, 2012 |
Maybe the Grimm brothers didn’t set out to kill women’s stories, but they did. Here’s what...
- I entered to win 2 tickets to #ArtBasel from @FlySWISS_US @StandardNY. Includes air, rail and #Vernissage tickets! t.co/pBjqoFYo18 Time ago 10 Hours via PromoSimple
- I'm at Cinemark Century Movie Theatre - @cinemarkusa for Mud w/ @jhurd [pic]: t.co/Rg15tfwhRI Time ago 2 Days via foursquare
- finished The Round House by Louise Erdrich t.co/HNqRyyyCaa Time ago 3 Days via Kindle
- This is one worth reading; Not That Kind of Girl by Gail Storey t.co/B8f0WdHGJf via @philipwerner Time ago 5 Days via Tweet Button
- finished Life and Death Are Wearing Me Out by Mo Yan t.co/TcIZoAuD8X Time ago 11 Days via Kindle
- I liked a @YouTube video from @insidethemagic t.co/umfGwva8vv Disney's Planes - Sneak Peek clip with Dane Cook Time ago 45 Days via Google
- Just entered 2 win 2 tix for air & rail to Switzerland from @JohnnyJet @FlySWISS_US & @MySwitzerland_e. You can too! t.co/K0TnMrPntq Time ago 45 Days via PromoSimple
- I'm at The Timbers Restaurant (Sanibel, FL) [pic]: t.co/8Taic3qJgk Time ago 67 Days via foursquare
- Visiting friends with a beach!!!! (@ Marco Island Beach) t.co/JvtFHrzp5r Time ago 69 Days via foursquare
- Lunch in Yber City FL (@ The Columbia Restaurant) t.co/EmnyC0PBuw Time ago 71 Days via foursquare
Follow @JerrieHurd on twitter.